It is said that the Battle of Bosworth actually took place in the fields of Merevale above Atherstone.Certainly reparation was made to Atherstone after the battle and not to Market Bosworth.Witherley village is on the opposite bank of the river in Leicestershire, whilst the village of Mancetter is contiguous with Atherstone to the southeast.
The town is situated 5.6 mi (9.0 km) northwest of Nuneaton, 5.6 mi (9.0 km) southeast of Tamworth and 14 mi (23 km) north of the nearest major city, Coventry.
Atherstone is close to the River Anker which forms the boundary between Warwickshire and Leicestershire.
Mary’s Chapel seems to have experienced something of a revival.
Its square tower being rebuilt in the fashionable "Gothic" style in 1782.
It lies midway between the larger towns of Tamworth and Nuneaton and contains the administrative offices of North Warwickshire Borough Council.
Atherstone has a long history dating back to Roman times.is a town and civil parish in the English county of Warwickshire.Located in the far north of the county, Atherstone forms part of the border with Leicestershire along the A5 national route, and is only 4 miles from Staffordshire.An important defended Roman settlement named Manduessedum existed at Mancetter near the site of modern-day Atherstone, and the Roman road, the Watling Street (most of which later became part of the A5) ran through the town.It is believed by some historians that the rebel Queen of the Britons, Boudica was defeated at the Battle of Watling Street by the Romans in her final battle near Manduessedum.This drastic alteration probably aroused some controversy.